[ndnSIM] Questions related to content store and attack scenarios

John Baugh jpbaugh at umich.edu
Sat Oct 29 22:27:45 PDT 2016

Greetings again ndnSIM friends,

I've been pouring over the documentation from your site as well as the NDN
NFD developer's manual and other papers and sources.  I've compiled a few
questions related to my research, and based on what I've read thus far.
Again, I am still very much a newbie.  Hopefully I can contribute and be
productive to help you all and give back to the community once I have my
bearings.

Here are my questions:

   1. The NFD developer documentation makes mention of *admission
policy* related
   to the content store.  Is this the CachePolicy?

   2. In order to customize how data (perhaps, rather what data) makes it
   in to the CS and what is removed when, do I subclass CachePolicy?
      - Once you create such a subclass, where do you put it so "the
      system" will recognize it when you use a CS::setPolicy call?

      3. How can I display the contents of the CS in a router / node at
   different times?  Does this require subclassing one of the Tracers so it
   can create a file with some of the information related to content store
   contents?
      - Since I am focusing on cache pollution attacks, I need to be able
      to ascertain what data was implanted by an attacker, and what data was
      requested by legitimate users - specifically being able to correlate
      Interests sent by attackers vs normal users resulting in data caching in
      the CS

      4. Related to question 3, how can I create one or more attackers?  I
   assume this would involve subclassing one of the Consumer classes?  Is
   there any more thorough documentation or examples of how one does something
   like this?

   5. Is it possible for a consumer node (such as an attacker) to focus on
   a specific interface (Face)?
      - I may have some misunderstandings regarding the concept of "Face"
      in ndnSIM / NDN / NFD
      - Would a particular node naturally always be "attached" to one
      single Face during the simulation?

That's all for now.  I really appreciate everyone and their willingness to
help.  I know many of you are also very busy, so I definitely plan on
helping out in the future to make ndnSIM better.  For now, I am somewhat
crunched for time on producing some solid research, but I guess aren't we
all?!  :)

Thanks!

John