[ndnSIM] Wireless multi-hop ad-hoc communication

Meng Kuai mkuai at crimson.ua.EDU
Wed Nov 11 09:10:24 PST 2015

Hi Alex,

I have been working on wireless communication in NDN. I'm looking your car-2-car code. It looks like you added some 2.5-layer between Wi-Fi and NDN forwarding protocol. I'm wondering if we can write our own forwarding strategy to do this without changing the lower layer. Because you have already provided us the interface to write our own forwarding strategy. But the functions we can use is very limited.

Meng Kuai
Ph.D Candidate
Department of Computer Science
The University of Alabama

-----Original Message-----
From: ndnSIM [mailto:ndnsim-bounces at lists.cs.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Alex Afanasyev
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:27 AM
To: Thiago Teixeira <tteixeira at engin.umass.edu>
Cc: ndnsim at lists.cs.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: [ndnSIM] Wireless multi-hop ad-hoc communication

> On Oct 30, 2015, at 6:09 PM, Thiago Teixeira <tteixeira at engin.umass.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am using ndnSIM 2.0 and I am working on a scenario with multiple nodes, randomly placed in an area, communicating via Wi-Fi. I have one producer (fixed), one consumer, and all other nodes are routers. Every node broadcasts the Interests to all faces (using a modified broadcast strategy).
> The point is, most of the communication was done in one hop. I reduced the Wi-Fi range and noticed that routers do not relay content.
> Therefore, I have a few questions:
>
> 1 – Does ndnSIM supports multi-hop wireless communication by default? I want the routers to work like data mules.
>
> 2 – My question is very similar to this: http://www.lists.cs.ucla.edu/pipermail/ndnsim/2013-March/000201.html
> I wonder if the Car2Car implementation is still the way to go, or there are newer implementations.

Hi Thiago,

As you may have read in my old reply, everything depends on what interest forwarding strategy does.  One of the default actions that strategies implement is "do not forward interest to the face the interest was received from".  This effectively prevents re-broadcasting the interest.  If you want to have this feature, you need to implement it and some logic that will restrict this re-broadcasting based on some condition.  Car2Car design is one possible way to do this, under assumption about how interests needs to be disseminated.