[ndnSIM] Red status for the faces

Salvatore SIGNORELLO salvatore.signorello at uni.lu
Fri Jan 16 00:40:46 PST 2015

Hi all,

I've written out a simple tracer that prints the status of the faces for
the Fib entries, to troubleshoot the weird behavior I've experienced
with some simulations, where all the nodes use a BestRoute forwarding
strategy.

Well, I've never seen a Face marked as RED using the new developed
'ifaceTracer' after several attempts in different simulation scenarios,
the same holds even if I simulate scenario with link failures using the
ndn::LinkControlHelper class. So, I've started digging into the source
code to see who is really marking the interfaces as RED. By now I've
just found the InvalidateAll method of the FibImpl class. This method
iterates all the Fib's entries and for each of them it iterates the list
of faces and it sets the status to Red calling in turn the Invalidate
method of the FaceMetric class. The InvalidateAll method is used only by
the GlobalRoutingHelper class to clean the status of all the Fib's
entries before starting the computation of the routes. Is there anything
I've missed? Could anyone please confirm the workflow summed up above?

Further, what about the probing of (inter)faces? It seems to me that also the codebase has foreseen it, but nobody is really using it.

Best,
Salvo