[ndnSIM] Memory Usage in ndnSIM and NFD

Daniel Posch poschdaniel2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 11:00:35 PST 2015

Hello Spyridon,

if "real" Data Packets are used and each Content Store maintains its own
copy this leads to huge memory consumption.

Consider the following scenario:

Data Packets have a constant size of let's say 4096 Bytes.
The topology consists of 100 nodes, which have a Content Store that
stores up to 12500 Data Packets.
So per node this are 12500*4096Bytes = 51200000Bytes, or roughly 50MB.
For the whole simulation this would lead to 50MB*100 = 5GB of required
memory.

I consider the presented scenario as "very small", especially the size
of the Content Store.

If I take your scenario with 1000 nodes, and let's say each node has a
100 MB CS, this would to a memory requirement of 100MB*1000 = 100GB.
So I think that you are using  extremely "small" Content Stores in your
scenario?

Best regards,
Daniel