[ndnSIM] Modifying source files

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Wed May 14 02:18:47 PDT 2014

Yes. If you modify NS-3 source, then you'll have to recompile all dependent things.

You may save some time by disabling modules that you don't care.  The following may partially help:

- disable python.  Building python bindings is slow and always requires a lot of rebuilding
- enable only NS-3 modules that you're using.  You can do it from the command line, but it is easier if you create .ns3rc in ns-3 folder:

Here is content of my .ns3rc:

--- cut ---
#! /usr/bin/env python

# A list of the modules that will be enabled when ns-3 is run.
# Modules that depend on the listed modules will be enabled also.
#
# All modules can be enabled by choosing 'all_modules'.
modules_enabled = ['ndnSIM', 'point-to-point', 'point-to-point-layout']

# Set this equal to true if you want examples to be run.
examples_enabled = False

# Set this equal to true if you want tests to be run.
tests_enabled = False
--- end cut ---

(it is based on `utils/.ns3rc`)