[ndnSIM] about interest lifetime

Marica Amadeo marica.amadeo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 02:48:33 PST 2013

Dear Alex,

Thanks for your kind answer.
By using the milliseconds time unit, my issue is solved. :)

Concerning your question about the use of short interest lifetimes, my
problem raised from the fact that I'm simulating a IEEE 802.11g
multihop wireless network in which consumers and content sources are
usually 2-4 hops far away from each other.
In this scenario, if the network is not congested, the end-to-end
delay is usually very short and, as a consequence, the Interest
Retransmission Timeout (RTO) is very short as well.
The default value of 2s as Interest Lifetime (as set in the
ndn-consumer.cc file) is basically too high in this context.

However, the probability that an Interest is not satisfied due to
packet collisions or bad channel quality is very very high.
And since the Data packet is larger than the Interest packet, the
probability of a Data loss is even higher than the Interest packet
loss probability.

In my scenario, I assumed that the RTO - dynamically computed by the
consumer - is included in every Interest packet as Interest Lifetime
(I use the sendPacket function of the ndn-consumer.cc file).

So, every forwarding (intermediate) node can use the Interest Lifetime
value to correctly set the correspondent PIT entry lifetime and
rapidly discard an Interest, if it is not satisfied in a reasonable
time interval.

Thanks again for your help.
Marica