[ndnSIM] Question on FIB matching

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Wed May 8 16:27:55 PDT 2013

Hi Asit,

The currently implemented way always attempts to lookup FIB and create PIT entry for incoming interest, and if there is a CS match, such a PIT entry will be immediately satisfied.

The main reason behind this implementation is to unify metric calculation: for every interest there will always be either new or existing PIT entry, and every satisfied interest can be tracked via PIT entry satisfaction.  It is technically possible to change the implementation, but I'm not yet sure if this would get any major benefits.

As for last question.  Yes, it is assumed that there is always some FIB entry, at least a default entry for root prefix, that can match incoming interests.  And if there is no such entry, then NDN router is not willing to do anything with such interests.

Do you have a specific scenario where this assumption doesn't hold?  It is relatively easy to create an alternative forwarding strategy with slightly different processing logic.