[ndnSIM] How to control the Consumer behavior when an Interest times out?

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Tue Mar 12 14:33:32 PDT 2013

Hi Chengyu,

About your last question.  I "temporarily" broke the functionality to configure Selectors (which AnswerOriginKind is part of), but it can be relatively easy added back.  The main reason for this regression is that I wanted to have a packet format that incurs lesser overhead (you can check out the current packet format used by ndnSIM here: http://ndnsim.net/new-packet-formats.html).  Would you have time to help me implementing this functionality?

Btw. There is always an option to revert back to CCNx-compatible format (old files are in disabled/ folder), but I was planning to have an option to select packet format in the next (major) release of ndnSIM.

Another btw.  After "re-adding" the ability to set AnswerOriginKind, there is also a need to implement logic of this selector in the forwarding strategy (not currently there).

---

About the fist question.
ns3::ndn::Consumer is a very simplified implementation of the consumer and in your case you may want to implement a completely separated Consumer application (derived from ndn::App),  taking the existing one as a base for the implementation.  This way you going to have full control on what is happening.

If the only functionality that you want is to send Interests and do not retransmit ones that timed out, you can try to use a consumer similar to DumbRequester from examples (examples/custom-apps/dumb-requester.h/cc): http://ndnsim.net/applications.html#dumb-requester

As for the sequence numbers.  Consumer-derived apps make an assumption that you would send Interest in a specified namespace (/ucla.edu/alex/cv) with sequence numbers:

/ucla.edu/alex/cv/0
/ucla.edu/alex/cv/1
/ucla.edu/alex/cv/2
/ucla.edu/alex/cv/3
/ucla.edu/alex/cv/4

(ConsumerZipfMandelbrot does not request sequentially, but still uses notion of sequence numbers.)