[ndnSIM] question for wireless networks

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Fri Mar 8 12:03:54 PST 2013

Hi!

When you referring to multi-hop wireless networks, do you mean that some nodes would have multiple wireless interfaces and act similar to routers in wired networks?   Or do you mean that some nodes would relay received interest "further" over the same face?

In the first case, it can be achieved by a little bit customizing the annotated topology reader, so it creates requested types of the NetDevices, not just PointToPointNetDevices, as it is doing now.

For the second case, the problem is more complicated and more fundamental.  Normally (and this logic is implemented in stock version of ndnSIM), NDN routers do not rebroadcast Interests or Data over the face they received this Interest or Data.  In the case of wireless networks, and especially multi-hop wireless networks, this logic may not be always valid and needs to be adjusted using customized forwarding strategy.

We had a preliminary experimentation with vehicle-to-vehicle multi-hop adhoc networks, assuming that Interest/Data is intended to be propagated as far as possible from the originator.  You can check ndnSIM extensions here: https://github.com/cawka/ndnSIM-nom-rapid-car2car.  In our case, it was a key assumption, as it allows to distinguish whether a particular Interest needs to be rebroadcasted or not. (The extension code also have special consideration about broadcast nature of the wifi, so in some cases it would cancel "scheduled" rebroadcast event.  You can check the linked paper for more info.)

If you can make a similar assumption, or define a specific criteria when Interest/Data need to be related or not, you can write a specialized version of forwarding strategy (similar to this: ndn::fw:V2v: https://github.com/cawka/ndnSIM-nom-rapid-car2car/blob/master/extensions/ndn-fw-v2v.h and https://github.com/cawka/ndnSIM-nom-rapid-car2car/blob/master/extensions/ndn-fw-v2v.cc).

Sincerely,
Alex