[ndnSIM] Trace driven simulation

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Wed Jun 19 15:39:51 PDT 2013

Hi Saran,

Yes, this is definitely a good idea and we were actually planning to do something similar, but haven't done anything yet.

There are a couple of ways you can make the trace-driven consumer.  One way is to have a simple list of interest names, and then it should be consumer app that decides when exactly it wants to start requesting them.  Another way is to have a list of names and (relative) times when these interests needs to be send out.

In either case, you would need to write a completely new consumer implementation, since the ones that are in ndnSIM assume sequence number as essential part of the name (last component), which simplifies some logic with interest retransmission.  Without this assumption (if you still need retransmission), you will need to keep track of the whole names of expressed interests.

I have actually started some work to add richer NDN API for writing applications (e.g., you create a handler, express interests through handler, handler notifies you when data arrives or when there is a timeout), but the work is still in its very beginning and I don't even have a compilable/usable code to show yet.