[ndnSIM] Re: question for packet loss

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Thu Jul 4 22:35:55 PDT 2013

Hi Aaron,

Yes, you can use any names in interests. If you use something like:
  // Consumer
  ndn::AppHelper consumerHelper ("ns3::ndn::ConsumerCbr");
  // Consumer will request /prefix/0, /prefix/1, ...
  consumerHelper.SetPrefix ("/prefix");
  consumerHelper.SetAttribute ("Frequency", StringValue ("10")); // 10 interests a second
  consumerHelper.Install (nodes.Get (0)); // first node
You will have interests with prefixes /prefix/0, /prefix/1, etc.  If you specify something else, then the other name will be used (you can have as many name components as you wish: /a/b/c/d).

However, if you want the same client to send interests for different data, then you would need to write a custom application that does the job.  For the guideline you can either check source code or this examples: http://ndnsim.net/applications.html#custom-applications.

Regarding the visualizer question.  Visualizer connects to trace sources from PointToPointNetDevice, WifiNetDevice, and other network device implementations.  Green means a successful transfer of packet and red, in many cases, means either queue overflow drop (for PointToPointNetDevice), or some other drop for other devices.  The packet loss is not related to ndnSIM implementation, but is purely NS-3 NetDevice things.  To avoid the loss you have to control how much packets are send out over the interface...