[ndnSIM] How to trace the latency of request, duration from sending the Interest to receiving corresponding Data

Alexander Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Wed Jan 16 12:13:40 PST 2013

Hi Xiaoke,

It is up to the particular application to track down Interest-Data latency.  There is another question regarding in which latency you're interested: just Interest-Data or first Interest for sequence number and reception of Data (which includes all the retransmission delays).

Currently in ndn::Consumer-based apps, there is tracking of just Interest-Data packets (i.e., without retransmission delays) within RTT estimator variable (Ptr<RttEstimator> m_rtt) and in timeout container (SeqTimeoutsContainer m_seqTimeouts).

If you want/need the other delay, including all retransmission timeouts, then it should be straightforward to implement, for example, using SeqTimeoutsContainer structure (similarly how m_seqLifetimes in ndn::Consumer).

I think, and would do it when I can get time for that, it is a good idea to export both delay parameters as a trace sources in ndn::Consumer class, as well as write a simple metric helper.