[ndnSIM] how to obtain link load

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Tue Apr 16 17:19:10 PDT 2013

Hi Shenglan,

Got it.  I think for your specific case you should not use tracer at all, since it is really designed for recording simulation scenario metrics, and not to be used internally.

For the "instant" link load (besides that you have to carefully define "instant"), there are no modules in the base code of ndnSIM, but I made an extension to obtain run-time statistics per interface/per name prefix about incoming/outgoing interest/data packets as part of Interest flooding mitigation research.  It may be not exactly what you need, but you can try to modify it for your needs.

You can check the code in this repo on github: https://github.com/cawka/ndnSIM-ddos-interest-flooding
The files that you will be interested are:
- extensions/stats.h and extensions/stats.cc  defining a "forwarding strategy" (actually it is a strategy layer) that tracks in real-time NDN stats and records it in a special data structure
- extensions/stats/*  implementation of this special data structure.

Let me know if you have questions.  I wasn't sure that this "module" (and this particular implementation) is general enough to be included in ndnSIM code base, but if you find it useful, I can push it to the base.