[Ndn-lib] PSync PartialProducer on multiple nodes

Lan Wang (lanwang) lanwang at memphis.edu
Tue Jan 29 14:55:50 PST 2019

On Jan 29, 2019, at 3:03 PM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu<mailto:shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>> wrote:

Hi Lan

The Sync prefix in PartialSync includes the producer of a dataset and all the subscribers interested in that data (could be a subset).  It doesn’t include different producers with different datasets.

You can use a FullSync group to discover new participants and then use PartialSync to subscribe to their data.

As I said, this approach is not scalable: it requires one Consumer for each participant, which is expensive in terms of traffic overhead and memory usage.
Why not merge FullSync and PartialSync so that multiple producers can publish their user nodes on the same sync prefix?

That’s something we can think about, but they do work differently (the PartialSync interest carries the producer’s previous IBF when the subscriber last sync’ed with the producer (not the subscriber’s own IBF), while the Fullsync interest carries the node’s own IBF.  I don’t have a clear idea of how to combine them or if it’s possible right now.

If you are concerned about the number of consumers.  We can change the code to allow one consumer to subscribe to multiple different sync prefixes.  That should not be too difficult an implementation change.

Lan