[Ndn-lib] NDN talk

Burke, Jeff jburke at remap.UCLA.edu
Sun Oct 23 12:35:46 PDT 2016

Hi Niv,

JeffT may have been referring to an initial microforwarder implementation in Javascript –
http://conferences2.sigcomm.org/acm-icn/2016/proceedings/p201-shang.pdf
This isn’t a micro js library but rather a simple forwarder in javascript intended to provide—for example—cross-tab communication a browser.  The closest thing to a micro implementation that we have is the Squirrel library https://github.com/remap/ndn-squirrel   which is not quite Javascript but close. Unfortunately we’re not able to support that publicly yet.

My off-the-cuff suggestion is that you consider providing an adaptation layer that emulates the necessary functions to use the existing library – this will probably be the most reliable, easiest to support solution.   From a quick glance here - https://github.com/optimisme/gjs-examples/blob/master/README.md  - it looks like there are some ways to mimic setTimeout(), for example.

NDN-CPP is primarily a C++ library, so you are not necessarily going to find all the functionality in the C code – it focuses on encoding, transport, and some security-related functions.  In particular, I believe that Face is only implemented in C++.  Part of the reason that we keep the C core is to facilitate building a version of the library (NDN-CPP-LITE) for constrained devices - https://github.com/named-data/ndn-cpp/tree/master/src/lite   You might take a look at that.

Thanks,
Jeff

From: Niv Sardi <xaiki at endlessm.com>
Date: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 6:32 AM
To: Jeff Burke <jburke at remap.ucla.edu>
Cc: Cosimo Cecchi <cosimo at endlessm.com>, "Thompson, Jeff" <jefft0 at remap.ucla.edu>, "ndn-lib at lists.cs.ucla.edu" <ndn-lib at lists.cs.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: NDN talk

​Following up on talks between Endlessm.com and the NDN community, i'm cleaning a bit the CC list as not to spam and adding ndn-lib to try to solve some small technical implementation details that i'm encountering.
G'day ty'all,
as a tl;dr, we're starting to look into using NDN @ Endless and i've been playing with the lib, NFD and exploring possibilities, that said i'm getting stuck by a few points.
- Is there a smaller ndn-js implementation ? i think jeff told me you were working on a micro-ndn-js lib, i can't find it on github. The rationale behind this is that we use GJS https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Gjs , and it doesn't really implement all of JS (not navigator, not setTimeout, …), importing ndn-js yelds a pile of those issues, and it seems it's going to take a while to make that work.
- On a followup question, it's easy for us to wrap a C library into GJS, but i'm not sure where the face and interests handeling functions are in https://github.com/named-data/ndn-cpp/tree/master/src/c ? (we could use dbus as a bridge to go back to handeling everything in python, but i'd much rather have NDN integrated directly into ekn https://github.com/endlessm/eos-knowledge-lib)

thanks,