[Ndn-lib] wireEncode/wireDecode interface missing in Name class

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Apr 12 19:00:50 PDT 2014

On Apr 12, 2014, at 7:12 AM, "Burke, Jeff" <jburke at remap.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Yes, the goal is to provide wire format independent APIs to application developers.   This is the current approach of the "common client libraries."   (As a sort of proof of concept, we can change between binary xml and tlv in the ndnrtc application with no change to the app, though there are some differences between the fields/structure in the two formats that don't make this something we intend to do regularly.)
>
> Jeff

for this specific point of supporting both binary XML and TLV: we are so early in NDN development and few apps exist as of now, so it is unclear to me whether it is worth the cost of carrying on the binary-XML support, as opposed to paying a (small) one-time cost to convert the very few apps that use binary XML.

I still recall the day of switching over from NCP to TCP/IP in Jan 1983, it was hectic and painful (the ARPAnet was much bigger in scale and had been in operation for years at the time), but it was done.

Lixia