[Ndn-lib] wireEncode/wireDecode interface missing in Name class

Wentao Shang wentaoshang at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 09:58:14 PDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 7:09 AM, Burke, Jeff <jburke at remap.ucla.edu> wrote:

>  Wentao,
>
>  In general we are trying to not expose the application developer to the
> wire format.  The CCL will shortly provide functions for creating command
> interests that follow the spec here<http://redmine.named-data.net/projects/nfd/wiki/Command_Interests>.
>   Are you interested in a different type of command interest structure
> (requiring you to experiment with the wire format until we can provide
> library support for such a new structure) or would these  fit your needs?

I think the current command interest design is pretty good (for nfd/nrd
use) :) But I may still want to try out different design approaches. I
believe internally we have the encode/decode interface for every tlv-format
class. The only question is whether to expose them or not.

>  For Shuo's repo, though it might store things in the wire format, it's
> unclear to me why the repo would need to understand/parse it directly?
>  Could you explain more or ask him to email the list with what he is trying
> to do / needs from the library...

Copied Shuo here. My understanding is that repo-ng uses wire-encoded Name
bytes as db index. So every time it receives an interest, it needs to parse
the Name in order to do longest prefix match and/or apply selectors to the
names. But I could be wrong.

Wentao

--
PhD @ IRL, CSD, UCLA