[Ndn-lib] wireEncode/wireDecode interface missing in Name class

Dave Oran (oran) oran at cisco.com
Sat Apr 12 05:17:09 PDT 2014

This is fairly scary. What if we decide to change the wire format? Do all the applications break?

Maybe we're just having a terminology misunderstanding here. Applications should have an API that allows them to construct and deconstruct names from/to typed name components. It's the protocol stack's responsibility to take those application-oriented data structures and marshall/unmarshall the wire format of the name field in the messages.

If such an API doesn't exist that's a major hole, IMO.