[Ndn-interest] [EXT] Custom TLV vs library

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 20 10:59:39 PST 2021

Hi Varun

Both NDN-TLV and CBOR can be considered "standardized" in the context of
NDN applications.
You can choose either one, but you should write down the schema first. In
other words, CBOR is not an excuse for not writing the schema.

To achieve compact encoding in CBOR, you should consider using numeric keys
in maps, which would be more compact than string keys.
Caution: not every CBOR implementation supports every CBOR feature. Thus,
it may end up being more complicated than NDN-TLV.

Sidenode: I've used CBOR in the past. See my name on
https://github.com/PelionIoT/cbor-sync and
https://github.com/bergos/ArduinoCbor .

Yours, Junxiao