[Ndn-interest] Tips for getting started?

Philipp Moll philipp.moll at itec.aau.at
Sun May 10 02:59:28 PDT 2020

Hi Erno,

I can confirm that starting with NDN can be complicated. I also had a
lot of troubles when first using NDN and writing an article about how to
start sounds like a great idea.

Based on my own experiences, I would recommend to start with creating a
simple application. Something like a producer that provides files in a
local directory to consumers. This way, you learn how the NDN protocol
primitives work and you'll see NDN in a small application in action. NDN
libraries providing API's for client applications are available for
various programming languages. A few examples:

  * C++: https://github.com/named-data/ndn-cxx
  * Python: https://github.com/named-data/PyNDN2
  * Java: https://github.com/named-data/jndn

All the libraries on GitHub include small examples showing how to use
the libraries. I think APIs for more languages are available and can be
found on the named-data GitHub page (https://github.com/named-data).

If your applications work on localhost, you can easily try them over
network by using the MiniNDN network emulator
(https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn). The emulator is based on
MiniNet and is in my opinion really easy to use.

However, this is just my personal opinion on how to get familiar with
NDN. I am pretty sure that others on the mailing list have good ideas
about how to start as well.

Good luck with the article. Can you keep me updated when there are any
news concerning your article?

Best,
Philipp