[Ndn-interest] [EXT] Current state of NDN?

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Tue Jun 30 04:32:38 PDT 2020

Hi Erno

The following is the opinion of yoursunny.com, developer of several NDN
libraries including NDNts and NDNph, as well as small NDN applications in
browsers and microcontrollers. It is not official position of NDN group.

I’m collecting information for possible article about ICN and NDN. Getting
> big picture is hard so really appreciate all the time and effort for
> replying to my questions:
>
> - what is NDN current state and maturity?

It’s alive and well, but at 30% maturity.

Network layer protocol is somewhat stable, but not fully specified.

Infrastructure implementation is starting to come together. There’s
globally testbed via IP overlay. There’s high speed forwarding that works
without relying on IP overlay. There are distributed routing and network
measurements as well.

There isn’t any applications that can compete with IP based applications.
It is said that NDN could start from the edge, off-grid applications, where
IP does not work well.
There were npChat app published last year. It works, but the user
experience (ease of use) is quite rough.
2019 Hong Kong protestors were using some kind of off-grid communication
app. npChat needs to as good as that app.

There still isn’t any web/email equivalent on NDN. These were how IP gets
started, and NDN should have them too.
Nowadays, some users are concerned that Google, Microsoft, Facebook, WeChat
are controlling too much of web/email/chat. NDN could be the decentralized
solution.

- is it used in some real use cases (commercial even) already or only
> research projects?

Small scale commercialization is happening. Operant Solar is using NDN to
collect information from their solar panels.

- How do you see the future of NDN?

I want NDN to replace IP but I don’t expect to see that in my lifetime.

I can see a triple stack (IPv4+IPv6+NDN) deployment in enterprises and data
centers within next 10 years, and at ISP scale after that.

I can see major websites (starting from Wikipedia) publishing over NDN, so
that they become more accessible in places with limited bandwidth, without
sacrificing security.
https://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2018/08/07/securing-sites-made-them-less-accessible/

- Any timeline for the future or what are the next key events that are
> coming?

The next NDN community meeting is in September.

Yours, Junxiao
https://twitter.com/yoursunny