[Ndn-interest] Reflexive Forwarding for NDN and CCNx

David R. Oran daveoran at orandom.net
Thu Apr 2 08:59:00 PDT 2020

ICNRGers,

Dirk Kutscher and I have formalized the reflexive forwarding scheme we
developed for RICE
(https://conferences.sigcomm.org/acm-icn/2018/proceedings/icn18-final9.pdf),
expanded it to cover more use cases (e.g. IoT sensors) and spelled out
the whole scheme in detail including algorithms and encoding in the
Internet Draft we just submitted.

It should work equally well for both CCNx and NDN and has concrete
encoding for CCNx, although we need some help from the NDN team on what
the best packet encoding ought to be in NDN for the new TLV we define.

Since this is a fairly major change/enhancement to the NDN and CCNx
forwarding model, it really needs a close review to help us figure out:

- Are we crazy?
- Is the complexity/functionality tradeoff appropriate?
- Did we miss anything, particularly any corner cases we should have
considered
- Which of the alternative approaches to backward/forward compatibility
we describe seems the right one?
- Are there more use cases that we ought to document? We were hoping to
have one or two to include for state synchronization, but have deferred
that for now in the interest of getting the spec out for review.

We’d like to talk about this at the ICNRG Interim meeting on April 20,
so p[lease sets aside some time to read/eview/think about between now
and then.

Many thanks!

Dirk & DaveO.