[Ndn-interest] Ndn clock synchronization requirements

Mosko, Marc <mmosko@parc.com> mmosko at parc.com
Thu Jun 13 10:58:03 PDT 2019

SignatureTime and SignatureSeqNum are both in the current NDN spec.  SignatureTime has been around since the beginning.  I am not sure when SignatureSeqNum was introduced.  SignatureTime may be used both in signed Data and signed Interest.

The SignedInterest spec (http://named-data.net/doc/NDN-packet-spec/current/signed-interest.html) has an explicit dependency on CurrentTime() being loosely synced (a 60 second grace period) to determine if the first interest with a key is valid, then it slides forward from that time if SignatureTime is used.

One could use a SignatureNone (and remember a nonce history) or SignatureSeqNum instead.

I agree with your premise that one should be explicit about time dependency -- which components have it and why and how can one use a alternatives if desired.

Marc