[Ndn-interest] Interest Signature

Zhiyi Zhang Zhiyi.Zhang at ucla.edu
Mon Jan 14 12:07:09 PST 2019

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:01 AM Mosko, Marc <mmosko at parc.com> <
mmosko at parc.com> wrote:

> (Due to a change at PARC, my current email address was not a subscriber to
> this list, so I had to cancel and re-post this message).
>
> Out of curiosity, I looked through the Gerrit on the new signed interest.
> I do like this direction better than the old signed interest where it is
> all munged in the name.
>
> I noticed at the end of the code review comments there is the statement
> "The signature should not cover Name-TYPE and Name-Length."  I did not see
> it in the comments, but I assume you are applying the same logic to the
> Parameters and SignatureInfo fields?

Actually not. The reason why we don't include Name's T and L is because
after generating the signature value, we need to append a
SignedInterestSha256Digest component to the end of the current name, thus
changing the Name's L.
This cuase extra overhead when verifying the signature -- receiver needs to
calculate and modify the L before signature verification.

> I think that is not correct.  When computing a digest over multiple
> fields, you need to delimit those fields somehow (a special character or
> length encoding, etc.).  Otherwise, you could have a first field with the
> values of the later fields and the later fields empty and get the same
> digest and thus the same signature.  For example, if my digest is over
> fields A and B, if I do not delimit them, I could have A="abc" and B="def"
> or A="abcdef" and B="" and they would look the same.
>
> I think this sentence is confusing.  Maybe use more commas or break it up
> or use set notation.

> ``InterestSignatureValue`` element covers all bytes of the ``Name`` element
> excluding the ``ParametersSha256Digest`` component, the Parameters element
> if presents, and the SignatureInfo.
>
> It could be read that the signature _excludes_ the Parameters and
> SignatureInfo.  You also use "bytes" and then "component" which mixes
> measurements.

Thank you for your comments. I will fix this.

> So it appears that the signature is only on the tuple (Name \
> ParametersSha256Digest, Parameters, SignatureInfo).  Usually one would
> makes those contiguous memory to simplify the digest calculation, so I
> would have expected the BNF to have Parameters and SignatureInfo directly
> after Name, assuming that the BNF implies normal ordering.

That's right. I will propose this to the reviewers. (Actually I did the
same things in NDN-Lite's signed Interest implementation.)