[Ndn-interest] NDN-Lite and NDN IoT Package Release

Zhiyi Zhang Zhiyi.Zhang at ucla.edu
Tue Jan 1 23:00:44 PST 2019

Dear all,

Happy new year!

We are happy to advertise our effort in pushing Named Data Networking to
the Internet of Things (NDN IoT).

To be specific, we are releasing our NDN IoT package (
https://github.com/named-data-iot/ndn-iot-package-over-nordic-sdk) which
contains:

   - NDN-Lite library (https://github.com/named-data-iot/ndn-lite)
   <https://github.com/named-data-iot/ndn-lite>: implements the Named Data
   Networking stack with high-level application support functionalities and
   low-level OS/hardware adaptation for IoT scenarios.
   -

   An Example application that contains both the controller side (run on an
   android phone) and the device side (run on Nordic 52840 boards)

To try out our package, you can compile the package and run the example
application, following the step-by-step instructions in the README.md.
Also, you can write your own applications with the NDN-Lite library. Enjoy
it!

In NDN-Lite, we provide a lightweight of NDN layer.

We have made security a priority while developing the package; it provides
NDN security in IoT including basic packet signature signing/verification,
content encryption/decryption, etc.

Furthermore, in order to provide usable NDN IoT support, we have realized
application support functionalities into the package; you can play with
bootstrapping, access control, and service discovery with simple APIs.

For example, with the security bootstrapping support, we provide support to
an IoT system with a localized trust anchor (i.e., the system’s trust
anchor is controlled by local devices instead of remote cloud servers).

In terms of the hardware compatibility, we have tried to make our library
compatible with many different platforms.

As of this announcement, we have tested our library over both RIOT OS (RIOT
does not support the Nordic 52840 board so we have only done unit tests
over RIOT for now) and performed real-world tests using Nordic SDK with
Nordic 52840 boards.

In addition, we provide documentation showing how to aid us in expanding
the package, such as creating a new platform adaptation or extending the
crypto backend for your own hardware or OS.

For more details about NDN-Lite, please visit the GitHub wiki:
https://github.com/named-data-iot/ndn-lite/wiki

We will keep adding new features to our package and library to improve it.

You are also very welcome to contribute the package by adding new
application-support modules and adaptations to new platforms.

If you have any questions, please contact us:
https://github.com/named-data-iot/ndn-lite/wiki/Authors

Let’s make NDN better in 2019 together :D.

Best regards,

Zhiyi Zhang, Yanbiao Li, Tianyuan Yu, Edward Lu, Bo Chen, Xinyu Ma