[Ndn-interest] Maximum Throughput in NDN

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Feb 4 06:04:56 PST 2019

Hi César

I was wandering if somebody has already analyzed the maximum Throughput
> that can be achieved with NDN.

NDN is a protocol. It can theoretically achieve unlimited throughput.
When IP was first invented, its throughput was a few kilo bits per second.
In 2019 we are going to see 400Gbps IP routers.

has someone already set a transport layer over Ethernet, UDP, TCP and then
> transmitted some large files?

ndncatchunks file transfer tools achieved
<https://imsure.github.io/ndn-vegas-report.pdf> a 15~25Mbps goodput with
ndncatchunks file transfer tool, using his TCP Vegas congestion control
scheme.
NFD's forwarding performance was benchmarked
<https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/3564#note-24> in 2016 to be 6.8K
Interest-Data exchanges (tested with 10-byte segments, but if it were
1300-byte segments, the goodput is 70Mbps); no newer benchmark reports are
available.
The fastest known NDN forwarding performance (not file transfer) has
exceeded 1333K Interest-Data exchanges (tested with 1300-byte segments,
goodput is 13.8Gbps), as reported in NDN Community Meeting 2018
<https://www.nist.gov/news-events/events/2018/09/named-data-networking-community-meeting-2018>
(day 2 part 3, first 22 minutes).

> In case the answer is negative, is there any suggested configuration for
> setting up 'state of the art' configuration?

See the NDN Community Meeting 2018 video for hints.