[Ndn-interest] Network inconsistency and NLSR sequence numbers

David R. Oran daveoran at orandom.net
Thu Aug 22 08:18:22 PDT 2019

This sounds like a CLASSIC link state algorithm design bug. I’m
frankly pretty surprised the NLSR team didn’t learn from correct link
state protocols like ISIS.

Maybe it’s because of inappropriate reliance on Chronosync rather than
doing a bespoke flooding protocol?

In addition to sequence numbers, you need an AGE field to time out old
LSPs and something like CSNPs to recover state faster than the age
timeout.

I’d be interested in whether this is just some code bug and things are
actually properly designed.

(BTW: modulo sequence spaces are neither necessary nor desirable for
link stat protocols - again look at ISIS which uses a simple linear
space, avoiding classic bugs like the old Arpanet “Christmas”
problem.)