[Ndn-interest] Congestion Control related draft

David R. Oran daveoran at orandom.net
Sat Aug 3 07:14:59 PDT 2019

NDN folks,

Those of you interested in congestion control for NDN might care to take
a look at the draft I submitted to ICNRG about doing a better job of
resource allocation than current interest-counting schemes. You can find
it at:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance/.

This is something I’ve been noodling on for a long time because of my
continuing interest in congestion control for ICN. It derives from some
work I did at Cisco a few years ago which I believe has become timely. A
number of interesting ICN use cases have either highly variable (e.g.
video), very large (e.g. scientific data), or very small (e.g. IoT
sensor) data objects, while all the congestion control schemes currently
published (to my knowledge) only do interest counting which can’t
account for this variability.

I’m obviously super-interested in what people think of this approach.
It is deceptively simple (only requires one new TLV with easy switch
from interest counting to fine-grained byte-based resource control for
congestion and possibly QoS extensions). However, like most things with
NDN or CCNx, it has interesting subtleties with respect to interest
aggregation and consumers trying to game the system, both of which are
covered in the spec.

I’d appreciate it if you’d post your comments on the ICNRG list
<icnrg at irtf.org> in order to have one place to discuss it. However, if
you’d prefer to reply to non-interest or to me privately, that’s ok
as long as you don’t mind if I repost responses and further discussion
in ICNRG.

As a final note, this has Cisco IPR on it. I’ve talked to the Cisco
folks and they’ll put in the usual Cisco IETF-oriented IPR declaration
when they get back from vacation (i.e. don’t hold your breath).

Thanks much!

DaveO