[Ndn-interest] Problem of PIT not aggregating Interests

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Thu Apr 25 07:01:23 PDT 2019

Hi yjinking

Thanks for complete information and packet capture. This behavior is by
design.

You are using the best-route v5 strategy. For this strategy, after
forwarding an Interest, if another Interest with same Name+CBP+MBF arrives,
it may choose to either retransmit or aggregate. As you see in the pcap,
the strategy has chosen to retransmit the Interest.
RetxSuppressionExponential
<https://github.com/named-data/NFD/blob/b31206e87ef7b282fd0ac295f93a626048805c27/daemon/fw/retx-suppression-exponential.hpp>
type
decides between retransmit and aggregate. It gives every PIT entry a
"suppression duration". If a subsequent Interest arrives within the
suppression interval, the decision is "aggregate"; if a subsequent Interest
arrives past the suppression interval, the decision is "retransmit". This
happens at PIT entry granularity. The configuration is: initial suppression
interval is 10 milliseconds, and it doubles every time the Interest is
retransmitted, up to 250ms.
As pcap shows, the first Interest arrived at 1556172304.931403000, the
second Interest arrived at 1556172304.949144000. The interval between these
two Interests is 16ms that is greater than the initial suppression
interval. Therefore, the strategy decides to retransmit.

I wish there's a way to change suppression settings via strategy
parameters, but there isn't. I've entered NFD Feature 4924
<https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/4924> to add this feature.

If you just want to see Interest aggregation in action, time your consumers
better so that the Interests arrive within 10ms of each other.
If it's a real problem affecting your application, you may "watch" this
feature on Redmine to get updates, or contribute code to that feature
following contribution guidelines.

Yours, Junxiao