[Ndn-interest] Issues in routing

Psaras, Ioannis i.psaras at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 21 02:46:39 PST 2018

Hi Tanusree,

jumping a bit late into the discussion and adding to Klaus’s later comments: it’s highly unlikely that only one router will have a copy of some content in its CS. Content repositories will have more copies, but also given that a content is in a router’s CS, then this means that the content has already travelled in the network and hence, it will likely be in the CSs of other routers or end-users’ devices.

This situation can be common in case of network fragmentation. I’m sending a coupe of pointers below to a few studies we’ve done and argued that Interests should not only look for content copies towards the main content repository (typically placed in the core of the network), but also towards the edge of the network. We have also calculated the time that content stays “live” in the fragmented part of the network, given some request distribution etc.

Enhancing Information Resilience in Disruptive Information Centric Networks, IEEE TNSM 2018: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8306511

Some extra bits and pieces can be found in two earlier conference versions largely in the same topic:

Information Resilience through User-Assisted Caching in Disruptive Information Centric Networks, IFIP Networking 2015: http://dl.ifip.org/db/conf/networking/networking2015/1570063627.pdf

Opportunistic Off-Path Content Discovery in Information Centric Networks, IEEE LANMAN 2016: https://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/~uceeips/files/off-path-discovery-lanman16.pdf

Hope this helps.

Best regards,