[Ndn-interest] v0.3 spec and separating matching

christian.tschudin at unibas.ch christian.tschudin at unibas.ch
Fri Mar 2 23:47:43 PST 2018

second attempt, reformulating things around "forwarding hints"

To me, an interesting thing in v0.3 is the introduction of a control
parameter, telling how to apply an Interest's name when it comes to
matching with content:

- if CanBePrefix is set, do it "prefixly"
- if CanBePrefix is not set, do it "exactly"
- if digest is present, do it "fully"

Together with the MustBeFresh and the digest parameter, this is the
start (or remainder) of a content filtering language.

My point was that classifying names according to that matching mechanics
is misleading and even imprecise language, because 'exact', 'full' etc
are not intrinsic properties of a data object's name - it's rather a
question of how you interpret "the bits that are in a field called
Name".

And taking it a step further, I wondered whether the Interest's Name
element shouldn't be reassigned to its primary role of an interest
packet, namely directing the Interest towards potential data sources,
having forwarding hints only, and make this field independent of the
data object's name bits.

The filter expression needs its place, too, of course. Exposing filter
parameters ('canBePrefix,mustBeFresh) at the Interest's top level seems
natural and efficient for CS purpose, but --just a playful thought-- one
could also put a BPF in the Parameters element. (And of course move from
'filter' to 'generator').

In an attempt to summarize: In spec v0.4, what about renaming the "Name"
element into "Directions"?

best, c