[Ndn-interest] NDN TLV 0.3

Cenk Gündoğan mail+ndn at gundogan.net
Thu Mar 1 23:35:41 PST 2018

Hello Junxiao,

thank you for this quick response.

On 18-03-02 07:11:18, Junxiao Shi wrote:
> Hi Cenk
>
> yesterday the NDN TLV spec in [1] was updated to the NDN TLV spec
> > version 0.3.
>
> It’s called “NDN Packet Format”, not “NDN TLV”. TLV is a mechanism, not the
> fundamental part of this packet format.

That makes completely sense. I think I got mislead by the git repository
name "named-data/NDN-TLV". Nevertheless, thanks for clearing the air on
this.

> Is there also a link to the former version (0.2.1)
> > somewhere? I know I can find all versions in the source git
> > repositories, but I'd like to have a compiled version that I can browse
> > to -- and which is ideally hosted under the official named-data.net
> > domain (:
>
> I’m looking for the same. It’s supposed to be hosted at
> https://named-data.net/doc/NDN-TLV/0.2.1/ but it’s not there.
>
> I quickly browsed the source repositories in GitHub, but I could not
> > find any NDN tools that make use of the new NDN TLV 0.3 spec. Could
> > somebody please point me to an implementation (if available)? I always
> > like to have the code and documentation side by side to get the full
> > picture.
>
> It’ll take several months before implementations will support the new
> packet format. There isn’t an implementation plan yet. Join an NFD call
> (find links on nfd-dev mailing list) to discuss.

Okay, I understand. Seeing the new version out there without having
proper access to the former 0.2.1 version gave the impression that
everything is finely rolled out and completed.

The new packet format looks nice, though. It removes a little bit of TLV
nesting (e.g. Selectors) and adds a hop limit. I can't wait to see that
in action (:

Cheers,
Cenk