[Ndn-interest] Sending files with NDN (putchunks/ndnpoke)

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 23 07:16:45 PDT 2018

Hi Cesar

I kept checking on the example and find out that the problem of speed is
> due to an optimization that happens in the ESXi host. The ESXi converts all
> the traffic into local traffic and everything becomes just copies of
> memory. that explains one of the problems I had.

That's a trick in hypervisor. It won't happen in a real network across
devices.

> I went a bit further also with the analysis of the NDN traffic and I
> figure out that there are two congestion protocols: TCP + the Arizona
> Univ's provided cogestion protocol. I understand that it has been developed
> because TCP was not optimized for ICN. But is this protocol as necessary
> that is included by default for all the ICN users?

NDN is not meant to be used over TCP.  Use Ethernet or UDP instead.

> Shouldn't we create a patch and enable at compilation time it only in case
> of need?

You can disable AIMD congestion control in ndncatchunks at runtime with a
command line option: --pipeline-type fixed . There's no need for
re-compiling.