[Ndn-interest] NDN packet size

Susmit susmit at cs.colostate.edu
Tue Mar 28 17:52:15 PDT 2017

Not much to add here but we did some experiments with large packet sizes. I
am currently uploading a tech report on the NDN website, I will send out a
link when it's uploaded.

In theory, you should only need to change the NDN_MAX_PACKET_SIZE in
tlv.hpp. I have tested this with packets that were several hundred
Megabytes, so I can confirm that large packets work with current
implementation. I have not tested ndn-tools, so there might be a bug there.
If so, please open a bug report in redmine.

The primary benefit of large packet sizes are overall lower packet signing
and verification cost. This will provide better throughput benefit up to
some large packet size and then remain pretty constant. But as others
mentioned before, memory consumption needs to be taken into account - this
will increase linearly with packet size. Packet processing time will also
increase linearly with packet size.

As for UDP limit on linux, it seems pretty large -

$ sysctl net.unix.max_dgram_qlen
net.unix.max_dgram_qlen = 512

$ sysctl net.core.wmem_max
net.core.wmem_max = 134217728