[Ndn-interest] Cisco CCN and NDN
aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Mar 21 16:14:58 PDT 2017
> On Mar 20, 2017, at 1:20 AM, David Cittadini <david.cittadini at icloud.com> wrote:
> I have a few “beginner” questions:
> 1. How does the new Cisco CCN announcement affect the work being done on the NDN.
I don't see any impact, except a positive one.
> 2. Is there a way for end-user application developers to simply test/try the NDN or does one have to setup a complete NDN system and formally join the “testbed”. I am looking for a way to focus on the high-level application side without having to master/deploy the complete NDN infrastructure.
I would like to state my opinion here that doesn't directly answer your question. NDN's real "edge" is in infrastructure-less environments, such as IoT, vehicular networking, disaster recovery scenarios, etc. Therefore, to really start with NDN you only need an NDN stack on the node that can be added in a few simple ways:
- if you are on Android, you can simply download NDN app that bundles, runs, and enables seamless NDN over Wifi Direct (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.named_data.nfd <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.named_data.nfd>)
- if you are on macOS, you can download NDN Control Center app for the same (https://named-data.net/codebase/applications/ndn-control-center/ <https://named-data.net/codebase/applications/ndn-control-center/>)
- if you are on Linux (Ubuntu), just install nfd and related packages from our PPA (http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/current/INSTALL.html#install-nfd-using-the-ndn-ppa-repository-on-ubuntu-linux <http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/current/INSTALL.html#install-nfd-using-the-ndn-ppa-repository-on-ubuntu-linux>)
- if you are interested working with microcontrollers (constrained memory and CPU), you can start with NDN-RIOT (https://github.com/named-data-iot/ndn-riot <https://github.com/named-data-iot/ndn-riot>)
- if you're playing with Raspberry Pi-like devices, there is NDN-Pi image (https://github.com/remap/ndn-pi/releases <https://github.com/remap/ndn-pi/releases>) and you would find this page very useful https://redmine.named-data.net/projects/ndn-embedded/wiki <https://redmine.named-data.net/projects/ndn-embedded/wiki>
If you want experiment including infrastructure, you can establish connectivity with NDN testbed (it is open for experimentation and joining) or deploy nodes on your own.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ndn-interest