[Ndn-interest] Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for April/May 2017

Josh Polterock josh at caida.org
Fri Jun 2 14:20:22 PDT 2017

Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Newsletter for April/May 2017

The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newsletter periodically
to inform the community about recent activities, technical news,
meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming
events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data
Networking Project blog.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH

* The NDN team will conduct a half-day SIGCOMM tutorial presenting
  an introduction to the architectural concepts, recent research
  results and remaining topics. For people interested in exploring
  more, the team will offer another half-day of activities for
  demonstrations of the NDN testbed and a set of NDN applications,
  introductions to the open-source codebase and code development,
  experimental tools, NDN emulator, mini-NDN, an NDN simulator, and
  discussions of future development. For more details, please see
  https://named-data.net/tutorials/sigcomm2017/. To register for
  the tutorial, please see
  http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2017/registration.html.

TECHNICAL NEWS

* The NDN Testbed has grown to 35 nodes with 96 links.
  See the complete list of nodes and their status at
  http://named-data.net/ndn-testbed/. You can see bandwidth
  on the testbed in real-time at http://ndnmap.arl.wustl.edu/.

NDN PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and TECHNICAL REPORTS

* Hila Ben Abraham and Patrick Crowley.  "Controlling strategy
  retransmissions in named data networking." in proceedings of 2017
  Symp. on Arch. for Networking and Communications Systems (ANCS
  2017), May 2017. In this paper we study and decompose the core
  mechanisms of a forwarding strategy in NDN. We illustrate how the
  correctness of some NDN applications can be affected by the
  coupling between the application design and the strategy decision
  to retransmit an unsatisfied Interest.
  https://named-data.net/publications/controlling_strategy_retransmissions_ndn/

* J. Burke, P. Gusev, Z. Sandoval, J. J. Stein, and Z. Wang.  "The
  storytelling systems of los atlantis." in ACM SIGCHI Case Studies,
  May 2017. Los Atlantis was a multisite live performance created
  within a research effort exploring the simultaneous authorship
  of story and code.
  https://named-data.net/publications/storytelling_systems_los_atlantis/

* Hao Wu, Junxiao Shi, Yaxuan Wang, Yilun Wang, Gong Zhang, Yi Wang,
  Bin Liu, and Beichuan Zhang.  "On incremental deployment of named
  data networking in local area networks" in ACM/IEEE Symposium on
  Architectures for Networking and Communication Systems (ANCS),
  May 2017. Assuming a local network with both NDN and IP traffic,
  we lay out three deployment scenarios: NDN-enabled hosts and all
  Ethernet switches, NDN-enabled hosts and all Dual-Stack switches
  (i.e., they can process both NDN and IP traffic), and a hybrid
  network with both Dual-Stack and Ethernet switches. We examine
  the technical issues involved in each scenario and propose
  solutions. In particular, in the hybrid scenario, we propose
  heuristics to optimize the placement of Dual-Stack switches.
  https://named-data.net/publications/on_incremental_deployment_ndn/

* Haowei Yuan, Patrick Crowley, and Tian Song.  "Enhancing Scalable
  Name-Based Forwarding" in proceedings of 2017 Symposium on
  Architecture for Networking and Communications Systems (ANCS
  2017), May 2017. In this paper, our goal is to enhance name-based
  forwarding performance with memory- and time-efficient data
  structures. We first define the string differentiation problem,
  based on the behavior of speculative forwarding in core networks,
  and then propose fingerprint-based solutions for both trie-based
  and hash table-based data structures. We experimentally demonstrate
  that the proposed solutions reduce the lookup latency and memory
  requirements. The distributed forwarding scheme presented in this
  paper makes name-based forwarding truly scalable.
  https://named-data.net/publications/enhancing_scalable_name-based_forwarding/

* Huichen Dai, Bin Liu, Haowei Yuan, Patrick Crowley, and Jianyuan
  Lu. "Analysis of Tandem PIT and CS with Non-Zero Download Delay"
  in proceedings of INFOCOM, May 2017.

* M. Zhang, V. Lehman, and L. Wang.  "Scalable name-based data
  synchronization for named data networking" in IEEE INFOCOM, May
  2017. In this paper, we propose PSync to efficiently address
  different types of data synchronization. Names are used in PSync
  messages to carry producer's latest namespace information and
  each consumer's subscription information, which allows producers
  to maintain a single state for all consumers and enables consumers
  to synchronize with any producer that replicates the same data.
  https://named-data.net/publications/scalable_name-based_data_synchronization/

* Wentao Shang, Zhehao Wang, Alexander Afanasyev, Jeff Burke, and
  Lixia Zhang.  "Breaking out of the cloud: Local trust management
  and rendezvous in Named Data Networking of Things" in Proceedings
  of the 2nd ACM/IEEE International Conference on Internet-of-Things
  Design and Implementation (IoTDI), April 2017. This paper uses
  the design of an IoT-enabled home entertainment application,
  dubbed Flow, to demonstrate how the Named Data Networking (NDN)
  architecture enables cloud-independent IoT applications.
  https://named-data.net/publications/ndn-breaking-out-of-cloud-iotdi-2017/

* Muktadir Chowdhury, Ashlesh Gawande, and Lan Wang.
  "Secure Information Sharing among Autonomous Vehicles" in Proceedings
  of the 2nd ACM/IEEE International Conference on Internet-of-Things
  Design and Implementation (IoTDI), April 2017. In this paper, we
  examine two potential threats, false data dissemination and vehicle
  tracking, in an NDN-based autonomous vehicular network.
  https://named-data.net/publications/secure_information_sharing_autonomous/

* NDN TR-44 Revision 1: Klaus Schneider, Beichuan Zhang.
  "How to Establish Loop-Free Multipath Routes in Named Data
  Networking" shows that we can achieve a higher loop-free path
  choice than state-of-the-art loop-free routing protocols by
  combining an almost loop-free routing protocol (ALR) with
  loop-removal at the forwarding layer. ALR's advantage comes from
  exploiting the ability of NDNs data plane to always exclude the
  incoming interface from forwarding, which broadens the routing
  task beyond the traditional goal of creating a Directed Acyclic
  Graph (DAG).
  https://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0044-1-loopfree-routing/

* NDN TR-48 Revision 1: Pedro de-las-Heras-Quiros, Eva M. Castro,
  Wentao Shang, Yingdi Yu, Spyridon Mastorakis, Alexander Afanasyev,
  Lixia Zhang. "The Design of RoundSync Protocol" In this report,
  we first use a simple case study to analyze the behavior of
  ChronoSync under simultaneous data publications, and then introduce
  RoundSync, a revision to ChronoSync to fix the overloading problem.
  RoundSync splits data publications into "rounds" and uses two
  separate Interest types for state inconsistency detection and
  update retrieval.
  https://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0048-1-roundsync/

* NDN TR-50 Revision 1: Zhiyi Zhang, Yingdi Yu, Alex Afanasyev,
  Lixia Zhang.  "NDN Certificate Management Protocol (NDNCERT)"
  enables automatic certificate management in NDN. In NDN, every
  entity should have corresponding identity (namespace) and the
  corresponding certificate for this namespace.  Moreover, entities
  need simple mechanisms to manage sub-identities and their
  certificates. NDNCERT provides flexible mechanisms to request a
  certificate from a certificate authority (CA) and mechanisms to
  issue and manage certificates in the designated namespace.
  https://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0050-1-ndncert/

* NDN TR-53 Revision 1: Wentao Shang, Yingdi Yu, Lijing Wang,
  Alexander Afanasyev, and Lixia Zhang. "A Survey of Distributed
  Dataset Synchronization in Named Data Networking" surveys sync
  protocols and highlights their commonalities and fundamental
  differences.
  https://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0053-1-sync-survey/

SEMINARS

* The NDN seminars are internally focused. If you would like to
  participate in the NDN Seminars, please contact the PoC, UCLA
  PhD. candidate Spyridon Mastorakis <Spiros.mastorakis at gmail.com>
  for the most up-to-date information regarding upcoming seminars.

   -  17 May 2017 Susmit Shannigrahi (Colorado State University) "Revisiting Traceroute for NDN"

RELATED NEWS

* ACM ICN 2017 - CALL FOR POSTERS AND DEMOS
  4th ACM Conference on Information-Centric Networking
  Berlin, Germany on Sep. 26-28, 2017
  http://conferences2.sigcomm.org/acm-icn/2017/cf-posters-and-demos.html

For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project
please visit http://www.named-data.net/.