[Ndn-interest] File download times and Changing segment size on ndnfs server

Ishita Dasgupta ishita.dasgupta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 18:11:33 PDT 2017

Hi All,

It takes around 2 seconds to download a 1MB file and 33 seconds to download
a 30MB file(compared to 0.13 and 2.6 seconds for the same files over HTTP
Apache). Is this behaviour expected?  I am using ndnfs-server and PyNDN
client.

I tried changing the segment size in ndnfs server
<https://github.com/remap/ndnfs-port> to 800KB from 8KB(in ndnfs.cc
<https://github.com/remap/ndnfs-port/blob/master/fs/ndnfs.cc> and server.cc
<https://github.com/remap/ndnfs-port/blob/master/server/server.cc>), but
that is giving me 3936 segments of 800KB each whereas it should have been
only 40 segments.
Do I need to modify the seg_size_shift as well? I'm wondering if the
seg_size_shift needs to modified from 13 to give the correct segment number
size(40 instead of 3936).
Has anyone tried changing the segment size and its effect on file
downloading speed?

Regards,
Ishita Dasgupta