[Ndn-interest] Delay forwarding in fw strategy

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Tue Aug 1 17:55:03 PDT 2017

Hi Adhy

Regarding the issue of delaying Interest and Data packets, would it make
> sense to implement the logic in the Ethernet face? I believe I would have
> to modify the "EthernetTransport::sendPacket" method in the
> ethernet-transport.cpp
> <https://github.com/named-data/NFD/blob/master/daemon/face/ethernet-transport.cpp#L99>
> to get the location from the packet name and delay the forwarding
> accordingly. Is that correct? (sorry I don't have experience with Ethernet
> faces)

Transport is definitely the wrong place, because Transport should not care
about the packet format. It could be NDNLPv2, or something completely
differently.
Without understanding the packet format, it is impossible for Transport to
extract the packet name.

LinkService and forwarding are two candidates for such a feature. The
criteria is to determine whether the feature should be a face feature or a
forwarding feature.
You mentioned earlier that the purpose of delaying packet transmission is
to avoid collisions. If the design operates entirely within a face and does
not take inputs from traffic on other interfaces, this should belong to
face system and thus be implemented in LinkService.