[Ndn-interest] [Question] Where is the public key should be stored?

Thompson, Jeff jefft0 at remap.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 14 12:05:30 PDT 2017

Hi Pengyan,

There are two categories of keys: Encryption keys (for example to encrypt data in a TLS session) and signing keys (for example to make an RSA signature which authenticates a packet). The NDN KeyLocator is used for the second category, to name a certificate which has the public key of the private key that make the packet’s signature. Packet signatures are part of the NDN protocol at the network layer. This paper describes one approach and has use case examples:
https://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ndn-0030-2-trust-schema.pdf

Encrypting data is handles at the application layer (and does not use the packet’s KeyLocator). This paper shows a way to distribute encryption keys for group-based access control:
https://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/ndn-0034-2-nac.pdf

Thanks,
- Jeff T

On 2017/4/14, 11:55:35, "Ndn-interest on behalf of Pengyuan Zhou" <ndn-interest-bounces at lists.cs.ucla.edu<mailto:ndn-interest-bounces at lists.cs.ucla.edu> on behalf of zpymyyn at gmail.com<mailto:zpymyyn at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi all,

According to my understanding, the KeyLocator has the storage location of the key.

My question is where normally should the key be stored, especially for secure transmission?

Since NDN is not end-to-end, there might not be thing like "TLS handshake”, or is there?

If not, then how does NDN realise the agreement of "Master Secret and Session key” (or sth. similar)?

Seems to me that all the key info including the KeyLocator are predefined before transmission, is that realistic?

There might be understanding, please correct me if so.

Thanks.

Best,
Pengyuan Zhou
University of Helsinki