[Ndn-interest] Hop-by-Hop Flow Balance

Greg White g.white at cablelabs.com
Wed Mar 16 11:02:41 PDT 2016

On 3/15/16, 3:22 PM, "Ndn-interest on behalf of Marc.Mosko at parc.com" <ndn-interest-bounces at lists.cs.ucla.edu on behalf of Marc.Mosko at parc.com> wrote:

>For small-size data, such as IoT, I think it is better to put the data in the Interest and use the Data object as a ACK.

And with fragmentation support, “small-size” could be large.  :)

For IoT applications, this method seems far superior to the alternative.  Minimizing the need for IoT devices to publish routable names seems like a good idea from the perspective of routing scalability.

Since the Interest can be signed by the producer (in CCN at least, I assume the same is true in NDN), it seems the only thing it lacks is the possibility for data to be cached in-network.

Furthermore, the Data object (ACK) could provide a next-name that is unique to the receiver to allow stateful communication if needed.