[Ndn-interest] NDN overhead

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 29 05:31:23 PDT 2016

Hi Nour

By analogy to HTTP over TLS:
Interest name of initial Interest to retrieve a version => HTTP request URI
line, Cookie, User-Agent, etc
Interest name of subsequent Interests to retrieve additional segment in a
version => TCP ACK
Link object retrieval, Link object and PublisherPublicKeyLocator
selector in Interest => DNS lookup including DNSSEC
Data name, portion that duplicates Interest name => IP header
Data name, portion that is in addition to Interest name => HTTP response
headers
Data payload => HTTP response body
signature of signed Interests, signature in Data => TLS connection setup
and TLS record headers

So, if you consider HTTP request, TCP ACK, DNS lookup as overheads,
Interest is overhead as well.
Whether those overheads are worthy is a different question which has been
answered in "How sending an interest for each chunk is justified?".

Yours, Junxiao