[Ndn-interest] Usefulness of routing protocol?

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Sun Jan 17 11:35:53 PST 2016

Hi Dennis,

Flooding to do data discovery is not really an option in the Internet-scale environments.  To effectively work at such scale, we need a structured mechanism for data discovery, which is what dynamic routing protocols such as NLSR are trying to do.

In other environments, such ad hoc environments, I would 100% agree with you.  In such environments, an efficient way could be to just directly discover data (e.g., by some for of smart broadcasting) without need of any routing protocol (e.g., no need to set up routes separately before data communication, as done in aodv, dsr, and other ad hoc routing protocols today).