[Ndn-interest] ndn architecture

Christos Papadopoulos christos at colostate.edu
Sun Feb 21 07:22:55 PST 2016

At the risk of oversimplifying, here is one way to think about it:

NDN does for content what IP did for hosts. In other words, IP gave us a
uniform interface by which to address every host in the Internet. NDN
gives us a uniform interface by which to address every content object in
the Internet.

NDN does not need TCP/UDP/IP, it runs directly on top of any link layer
that IP does. For NDN, TCP/UDP/IP is just another lower layer, just like
Ethernet. We can demonstrate such operation now, where you connect two
hosts running NFD and retrieve content from one to the other directly
over Ethernet, without the data ever getting into an IP packet.

I am not sure what the file stream module is, but just like IP, you can
build all sorts of abstractions over NDN.

Hope this helps.

Christos.