[Ndn-interest] Local hub discovery procedure

Muhammad Hosain Abdollahi Sabet M.AbdollahiSabet at mail.sbu.ac.ir
Fri Feb 12 09:35:36 PST 2016

Hello everyone,

As far as I understood, according to:
http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/current/misc/local-prefix-discovery.html
http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/current/manpages/ndn-autoconfig.htm

When I run ndn-autoconfig, NFD will send an interest to /localhop/ndn-autoconf/hub over a multicast face. After that assuming there is some autoconfig server behind one of the node's multiaccess faces, the node receives a data packet including the face uri of a localhub. Then after registering /localhop/ prefix on the very face that it has got from the localhub, the node will again send an interest this time for /localhop/nfd/rib/routable-prefixes and awaits for a data packet including some prefixes which it(interest sender application) can register for publishing data. If I'm wrong some where, please correct me.

Right now I have these two multiaccess faces:
-udp4://224.0.23.170:56363
-ether://[01:00:5e:00:17:aa]
I know the former is IANA assigned, but I don't know the latter. My question are:
1- The reason my machine's NFD is not receiving anything form 224.0.23.170 is that this IP is not globally routable, and I don't have any autoconfig server in my local network having this IP and being up and running. Right?
2- What is the second one? I've checked my host machine's virtual NICs(NFD is on a VM). It's not any of their MACs.

Thanks,
Sabet