[Ndn-interest] Repo-ng freshness period

Marc.Mosko at parc.com Marc.Mosko at parc.com
Mon Dec 12 16:42:06 PST 2016

Matteo,

If you expect to put a FreshnessSeconds in a certificate Data object that corresponds to the certificate’s validity period, I do not think you will get the behavior you want from NDN.  The FreshnessPeriod is the relative time (in seconds) from when a ContentStore receives a Data Object to when it will consider it stale.  This process is repeated at each hop.

If you are putting a 10 second FreshnessSeconds in a certificate Data object to force nodes to “phone home” to the repo every 10 seconds, you will not always get that either, because the 10 seconds is reset at each hop.  Each hop along A -> B -> C -> … fetches the certificate after 9 seconds, it will always be considered fresh for every hop and could thus live as fresh in the network for a long time.

Usually getting the most recent data object is controlled by using a version (timestamp or sequence number) in the Data object’s name, then using selectors to get the right-most child (which due to caching may need to be repeated).

Here’s an example:

As an example, let’s assume it’s January 1 at 00:00:00 and your certificate expires at January 11 00:00:00 (864,000 seconds).  So, node A publishes the certificate with a FreshnessSeconds of 864,000.  It is then retrieved as follows:

A -> 1 hour -> B -> 5 days -> C

Node B will receive the certificate at January 1 01:00:00 (3600 seconds), so node B will consider it fresh until 864,000 + 3,600 = 867,600 seconds (January 11 01:00:00).

Node C will receive the certificate after a delay of 3,600 + 432,000 = 435,600 seconds, so node C will consider it fresh until 1,299,600 seconds after node A published it (January 15 01:00:00).

You could take a look at what NDN did in one of the recent NDNfit security papers, where they encoded the validity periods as part of the key’s name (I don’t remember the paper title right now), but it was something like NDN for constrained environments.

Marc