[Ndn-interest] Loop Detection Issue

marxer at claudio.li marxer at claudio.li
Wed Aug 3 06:43:38 PDT 2016

On 08/03/16 14:28, Lan Wang (lanwang) wrote:
> They have different nonces but if the PIT entry created by C1 has not
> been removed, then C2 may be suppressed.   This is the dangling PIT
> entries problem.The solutions (already implemented in NFD) are the
> following:

Yes, this is what we meant in the example.

> 1. some strategies, e.g., recent versions of BestRoute) allow interest
> retransmission: when an interest is forwarded, a suppression timer is
> set on the PIT.  When the timer expires, it  may forward any new
> Interest matching the PIT (and then set the suppression timer again).
>
> 2. when X detects an Interest with a duplicate nonce, it sends a
> duplicate NACK  which may be further forwarded to clear the dangling
> PIT entries at the nodes that sent the interest.  When the PIT entry is
> cleared, new interest with the same name can be forwarded.  Right now
> some strategies (not all) in NFD handle the NACKs correctly.

Yes, this works. A question regarding the implementation: According to
the NFD developer guide, the PIT does not hold nonce values. Thus Z can
not fully reconstruct the interest from C2. Does Z generate a new nonce?
If yes: Not sure but intuitively I think that loop partially detection
might be broken if the green interest was also part of a loop (because Z
changes its nonce).

> Lan

Thanks to all of you for the explanations,
Claudio