[Ndn-interest] Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for September 2015

Josh Polterock josh at caida.org
Wed Sep 30 16:54:32 PDT 2015

Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for September 2015

The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newsletter monthly
to inform the community about recent activities, technical news,
meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming
events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data
Networking Project blog.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH

* NDNComm2015: This month we hosted over 100 people from 63
  institutions and 13 countries at the NDN Community Meeting (NDNComm
  2015) held at the University of California at Los Angeles campus
  in the Little Theater, MacGowan Hall, UCLA on 28-29 September
  2015. They participated in presentations, breakout discussions,
  posters and panels. To view the presentations, please point your
  browser at the following recordings. We will publish a report
  summarizing the meeting soon. You can view most of the presentation
  slides at http://www.caida.org/workshops/ndn/1509/.

  Day 1 (Sept 28) https://youtu.be/yLGzGK4c-ws?t=2824
  Day 2 (Sept 29) https://youtu.be/OJWHEz56AhQ?t=3290

* Preceding NDNComm 2015, we held the first NDN Hackathon: 26-27
  September 2015. 25 participants selected 7 projects out of 19
  submissions. For a complete list of projects, and the winning
  project, please see http://ndncomm.github.io/ .

TECHNICAL NEWS

* We announced release candidate 1 of version 0.4.0 of Named Data
  Networking Forwarding Daemon (NFD) and ndn-cxx library.

  Please find detailed release notes:
    - NFD: http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.4.0-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html
    - ndn-cxx library: http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.4.0-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html

  More details about NFD, source code, install instructions,
  tutorials, HOWTOs, a FAQ and other useful resources are available
  on the official webpages of NFD and ndn-cxx:

    - http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.4.0-rc1/
    - http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.4.0-rc1/

  The latest version of NFD developer's guide:
    - http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0021-4-nfd-developer-guide/

* We are pleased to announce the release of ndnSIM version 2.1
  (http://ndnsim.net/2.1/), a new release of the NDN simulator.
  The new version includes a major new feature: ndnSIM-specific
  implementation of Face abstraction from ndn-cxx library. As a
  direct result of this new feature:
   - we have enabled support for NFD's RIB manager, and
   - ndnSIM can now use codebases of existing applications to
     drive simulations (see http://ndnsim.net/2.1/guide-to-simulate-real-apps.html).
  For more details about the release, refer to http://ndnsim.net/2.1/RELEASE_NOTES.html

  Source code, instruction how to install how to compile ndnSIM,
  tutorials, FAQs, and other useful resources are available on official
  ndnSIM website: http://ndnsim.net/.

* NDN-CCL: We have new releases on GitHub of each Common Client
  Library, NDN-CPP, PyNDN, NDN-JS and jNDN. The primary change,
  deprecated support for NDNx. Other changes include bug fixes for
  each library.
   - NDN-CPP v0.8      https://github.com/named-data/ndn-cpp/
   - PyNDN   v2.1beta1 https://github.com/named-data/PyNDN2/
   - NDN-JS  v0.9      https://github.com/named-data/ndn-js/
   - jNDN    v0.8      https://github.com/named-data/jndn/

* We encourage users to download and try out the latest version of
  NdnCon v0.6.7 <https://github.com/remap/ndncon/releases/tag/v0.6.7>.
  We do not yet recommend it as a reliable subsitute for
  existing conferencing tools, however, we made extensive use of
  it during NDNComm 2015 for realtime streaming of the proceedings.

  Starting next week, Peter Gusev and Jiachen Wang of UCLA REMAP
  will hold online office hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from
  1:00-2:00P PDT to help users install and use NdnCon. Please watch
  the ndn-interest at lists.cs.ucla.edu mailing list for instructions
  on how to try NdnCon *before* joining the office hours with
  questions.

  You can join the NdnCon online office hours at:
  https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=M90UDE9GM9GXNYINAU10N1A4FF-CA8X&rnd=72419.252961

NDN PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and TECHNICAL REPORTS

* With the release of ndnSIM version 2.1, we would like to hightlight
  the latest version of the ndnSIM technical report:
  http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0028-1-ndnsim-v2/

NDN SEMINARS

* We paused our NDN Seminar series during September to accommodate
  the preparation required by the NDN Community Meeting.  The NDN
  seminars are internally focused. We usually hold these seminars
  on Wednesday from 2-3p (PST). So, if you would like to be included
  in the NDN Seminars, please contact Jongdeog Lee <jlee700 at illinois.edu>
  for the most up-to-date information regarding upcoming seminars.

  - October 7th  Jongdeog Lee and Akash Kapoor (UIUC)
    Title: InfoMax: An Information Maximizing Transport Layer
    Protocol for Named Data Networks

RELATED NEWS

* First stable release of go-ndn (1.0) This release marks all go-ndn
  packages as "stable", and adds "mux", the lightweight NDN framework.
  Please read the "create your first ndn app in go-ndn" tutorial
  to learn more about "mux":
  https://github.com/go-ndn/example/blob/master/README.md

For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project
please visit http://www.named-data.net/.