[Ndn-interest] Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for September 2015
josh at caida.org
Wed Sep 30 16:54:32 PDT 2015
Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for September 2015
The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newsletter monthly
to inform the community about recent activities, technical news,
meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming
events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data
Networking Project blog.
* NDNComm2015: This month we hosted over 100 people from 63
institutions and 13 countries at the NDN Community Meeting (NDNComm
2015) held at the University of California at Los Angeles campus
in the Little Theater, MacGowan Hall, UCLA on 28-29 September
2015. They participated in presentations, breakout discussions,
posters and panels. To view the presentations, please point your
browser at the following recordings. We will publish a report
summarizing the meeting soon. You can view most of the presentation
slides at http://www.caida.org/workshops/ndn/1509/.
Day 1 (Sept 28) https://youtu.be/yLGzGK4c-ws?t=2824
Day 2 (Sept 29) https://youtu.be/OJWHEz56AhQ?t=3290
* Preceding NDNComm 2015, we held the first NDN Hackathon: 26-27
September 2015. 25 participants selected 7 projects out of 19
submissions. For a complete list of projects, and the winning
project, please see http://ndncomm.github.io/ .
* We announced release candidate 1 of version 0.4.0 of Named Data
Networking Forwarding Daemon (NFD) and ndn-cxx library.
Please find detailed release notes:
- NFD: http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.4.0-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html
- ndn-cxx library: http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.4.0-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html
More details about NFD, source code, install instructions,
tutorials, HOWTOs, a FAQ and other useful resources are available
on the official webpages of NFD and ndn-cxx:
The latest version of NFD developer's guide:
* We are pleased to announce the release of ndnSIM version 2.1
(http://ndnsim.net/2.1/), a new release of the NDN simulator.
The new version includes a major new feature: ndnSIM-specific
implementation of Face abstraction from ndn-cxx library. As a
direct result of this new feature:
- we have enabled support for NFD's RIB manager, and
- ndnSIM can now use codebases of existing applications to
drive simulations (see http://ndnsim.net/2.1/guide-to-simulate-real-apps.html).
For more details about the release, refer to http://ndnsim.net/2.1/RELEASE_NOTES.html
Source code, instruction how to install how to compile ndnSIM,
tutorials, FAQs, and other useful resources are available on official
ndnSIM website: http://ndnsim.net/.
* NDN-CCL: We have new releases on GitHub of each Common Client
Library, NDN-CPP, PyNDN, NDN-JS and jNDN. The primary change,
deprecated support for NDNx. Other changes include bug fixes for
- NDN-CPP v0.8 https://github.com/named-data/ndn-cpp/
- PyNDN v2.1beta1 https://github.com/named-data/PyNDN2/
- NDN-JS v0.9 https://github.com/named-data/ndn-js/
- jNDN v0.8 https://github.com/named-data/jndn/
* We encourage users to download and try out the latest version of
NdnCon v0.6.7 <https://github.com/remap/ndncon/releases/tag/v0.6.7>.
We do not yet recommend it as a reliable subsitute for
existing conferencing tools, however, we made extensive use of
it during NDNComm 2015 for realtime streaming of the proceedings.
Starting next week, Peter Gusev and Jiachen Wang of UCLA REMAP
will hold online office hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from
1:00-2:00P PDT to help users install and use NdnCon. Please watch
the ndn-interest at lists.cs.ucla.edu mailing list for instructions
on how to try NdnCon *before* joining the office hours with
You can join the NdnCon online office hours at:
NDN PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and TECHNICAL REPORTS
* With the release of ndnSIM version 2.1, we would like to hightlight
the latest version of the ndnSIM technical report:
* We paused our NDN Seminar series during September to accommodate
the preparation required by the NDN Community Meeting. The NDN
seminars are internally focused. We usually hold these seminars
on Wednesday from 2-3p (PST). So, if you would like to be included
in the NDN Seminars, please contact Jongdeog Lee <jlee700 at illinois.edu>
for the most up-to-date information regarding upcoming seminars.
- October 7th Jongdeog Lee and Akash Kapoor (UIUC)
Title: InfoMax: An Information Maximizing Transport Layer
Protocol for Named Data Networks
* First stable release of go-ndn (1.0) This release marks all go-ndn
packages as "stable", and adds "mux", the lightweight NDN framework.
Please read the "create your first ndn app in go-ndn" tutorial
to learn more about "mux":
For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project
please visit http://www.named-data.net/.
More information about the Ndn-interest