[Ndn-interest] Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for April 2015

Josh Polterock josh at caida.org
Fri May 1 16:37:45 PDT 2015

Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for April 2015

The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newletter monthly
to inform the community about recent activities, technical news,
meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming
events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data
Networking Project blog.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH

* PI Christos Papadopoulos presented "Named Data Networking in
  Climate Research and HEP Applications"
  http://indico.cern.ch/event/304944/session/6/contribution/291/material/slides/0.pptx
  at the 21st International Conference on Computing in High Energy
  and Nuclear Physics (CHEP 2015). http://chep2015.kek.jp/

  Additionally, a group from Imperial College London presented
  "Possibilities for Named Data Networking in HEP"
  http://indico.cern.ch/event/304944/session/6/contribution/350/material/slides/0.pdf
  whereby they built the NDN platform on Centos7 and built a custom
  C++ application to provide repository services ("repose"). The
  application is built against lib-ndncxx to connect it to NDN and
  to backend filesystem libraries librados (part of Ceph) & libcurl
  The backends serve files into the NDN namespace from either a
  conventional POSIX filesystem, Ceph or HTTP source (currently
  read-only client pending solution for authentication).

* PI Lixia Zhang visited Peking University (PKU) on April 23 where she
  presented "Tackling the Challenge of Developing A New Internet
  Architecture" followed by a long Q&A session. Lixia also visited
  the Institute of Computer Network and Information System at PKU
  to hear about their ongoing effort with NDN related research.

* PIs Jeff Burke and Lixia Zhang visited Tsinghua University on
  April 24 to attend a mini-NDN workshop, organized by Prof. Dan
  Pei, where professors and graduate students presented their NDN
  related projects:

   1. Yet Another View on the Pending Interest Table.  By Huichen Dai
   2. Hop-adoptive Storage-forwarding Network.  By Prof. Bin Liu
   3. Transform HTTP to NDN: How does NDN support Web Content Delivery? By Zhaogeng Li
   4. Adaptive NDN Video Delivery over WLAN. By Menghan Li
   5. Adaptive NDN Forwarding through probing.

  After the mini-workshop we discussed collaboration with Prof. Dan
  Pei's group on the NDNFit project.

* Lixia Zhang participated in an IEEE INFOCOM 2015 Panel "What
  Should the Future Internet be Centered: Information, Service,
  Mobility, or User? (http://infocom2015.ieee-infocom.org/program/panels).
  Many INFOCOM attendees showed interest in exploring research
  topics in NDN design and development.  Prof. Zhang's slides:
  http://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/future-internet-centered-infocom2015.pdf

* At the Global Internet Symposium held adjacent to INFOCOM in Hong
  Kong 27 April - 1 May, Alex Afanasyev presented, "SNAMP: Secure
  Namespace Mapping to Scale NDN Forwarding" that applies a well-known
  concept of Map-and-Encap to provide a simple and secure namespace
  mapping solution to the scalability problem.
  http://named-data.net/publications/snamp-ndn-scalability/

  Alex also presented, "RepoSync: Combined Action Based and DataBased
  Synchronization Model in Named Data Network."

TECHNICAL NEWS

* The NDN Testbed added a new node in Norway at the Norwegian
  University of Science and Technology (NTNU) to bring the total
  to 24 nodes. Currently, we have nodes in 9 different countries.
  We have two additional approved nodes that we will add soon.  You
  can see the current status of the testbed at:
  http://www.arl.wustl.edu/~jdd/ndnstatus/ndn_prefix/tbs_ndnx.html and
  the real time bandwidth usage at: http://ndnmap.arl.wustl.edu/.

* We announced the release of version 0.2.0 of Named Data Link State
  Routing Protocol (NLSR).  Detailed release notes can be found at:
  http://named-data.net/doc/NLSR/0.2.0/RELEASE-NOTES.html
  More information about NLSR, tutorials, installation and configuration
  guides, and other useful resources are available on the official
  webpage of NLSR: http://named-data.net/doc/NLSR/

* NDN-CPP Lite Release: New code has been added to NDN-CPP in GitHub
  for NDN-CPP Lite, a light-weight C++ layer over the C language
  core in NDN-CPP.
  https://github.com/named-data/ndn-cpp

  The main C++ API for NDN-CPP uses the Standard Library classes
  to automatically manage memory. For data packet encoding, decoding
  and network transport, the C++ API calls an inner core written
  in pure C which does not make any assumptions about memory
  management or support libraries. We developed NDN-CPP Lite for
  low-power platforms such as the Arduino microcontroller that don't
  support the C++ Standard Library or run-time info for exceptions,
  like the C core, does not make assumptions about memory management
  or support libraries. Details available on the web at
  https://github.com/named-data/ndn-cpp/blob/master/README-NDN-CPP-Lite.md

* We posted a new version of NdnCon
  <https://github.com/remap/ndncon/releases/tag/v0.4.3> (v0.4.3).
  We do not yet recommend it as a reliable subsitute for existing
  conferencing tools, however, we hope to soon satisfy the NDN NP
  project's immediate needs (reliable audio prioritized over smooth
  HD video).

NDN PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and TECHNICAL REPORTS

* A. Afanasyev, C. Yi, L. Wang, B. Zhang, and L. Zhang, "SNAMP:
  Secure Namespace Mapping to Scale NDN Forwarding" presented at
  18th IEEE Global Internet Symposium, April 2015.
  http://lasr.cs.ucla.edu/afanasyev/data/files/Afanasyev/SNAMP-NDN-Scalability.pdf

* W. Shi and A. Afanasyev, "RepoSync: Combined Action-Based and
  Data-Based Synchronization Model in Named Data Network," in
  Proceedings of 18th IEEE Global   Internet Symposium (GI 2015),
  April 2015.

* S. Shannigrahi, A. Barczuk, C. Papadopoulos, A. Sim, I. Monga,
  H.  Newman, J.  Wu, and E. Yeh, "Named Data Networking in Climate
  Research and HEP Applications", presented at the  21st International
  Conference on Computing in High Energy and Nuclear Physics
  (CHEP2015), Okinawa Japan, April 2015.
  http://indico.cern.ch/event/304944/session/6/contribution/291/material/slides/0.pptx

* A. Afanasyev, "ICN Packet Format Design Requirements" presented
  at Information-Centric Networking Research Group (ICNRG) Interim
  Meeting Dallas, TX, March 22, 2015.
  https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim/2015/03/22/icnrg/slides/slides-interim-2015-icnrg-2-5.pptx
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-icn-packet-format-requirements-01

* NDN TR-29 Yingdi Yu, "Public Key Management in Named Data Networking"
  proposing the new NDN certificate format and design and discusses
  several approaches to certificate service and revocation in NDN.
  http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0029-1-public-key-management-ndn/

* NDN TR-30 Yingdi Yu, "Athena: A Configurable Validation Framework
  For NDN Applications" that proposes Athena, a configurable
  validation framework to support automated data authentication.
  The paper defines a policy language Guardian to help security
  experts specify a variety of trust models in a convenient way.
  http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0030-1-athena-configurable-validation-framework/

NDN SEMINARS

* Our NDN Seminar series continued during April.  These seminars
  are internally focused. We usually hold these seminars on Wednesday
  from 2-3p (PST). So, if you would like to be included in the NDN
  Seminars, please contact Jongdeog Lee <jlee700 at illinois.edu> for
  the most up-to-date information regarding upcoming seminars.

  April  1: Yanbiao Li presented "NDN Remote Registration"
  April 15: Alex Afanasyev presented "SNAMP: Secure Namespace
            Mapping to Scale NDN Forwarding"

RELATED WORK

* Collaborators at the University of Basil announced "The Content
  Name Collection" that hosts open content-name datasets in various
  formats and sizes.  Have a look at http://www.icn-names.net/
  and feel free to use and manipulate the datasets for your research!

For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project
please visit http://www.named-data.net/.