[Ndn-interest] NDNVideo: Available over NFD?

Burke, Jeff jburke at remap.UCLA.EDU
Sun Mar 29 20:46:23 PDT 2015

On Mar 29, 2015, at 8:09 PM, Burke, Jeff <jburke at remap.ucla.edu<mailto:jburke at remap.ucla.edu>> wrote:

Hi Divyashri,
The link to the repo that Lijing has provided is essentially a working directory now. Eventually, all code will be split into two projects: 1) video hosting like Youtube and 2) live video broadcasting like ustream.tv. The previous NDN-video supported both of these functions, but the namespace design was not implemented correctly (in true NDN way).

Hm, can you explain more? :)

Derek didn’t split video and audio streams into frames, and had segmentation over the whole video track and the whole audio track, which is essentially the same as it would be implemented in TCP/IP. Because of that, he had to keep another namespace that matches playback time to segment number.

Lijing’s project produces and consumes video and audio frame-by-frame (in parallel).

Not sure that is not the "true NDN way" or not.  What Derek did was partially a consequence of supporting the gstreamer pipeline, which had other advantages, not necessarily a holdover from IP.   What a/v framework are you using for capture/playback?  I couldn't tell from a quick look at the code.

Another reason there was a separate timecode namespace was to allow random seek in unpredictable frame rates and using an application/user understandable expression of time.  Does the new code support timecode (not frame #) as well as drop-frame / variable frame rate?  These things get a little tricky. Would be interested to know how you are handling it.  If there's a namespace doc, I could just look at that...

Thanks!
Jeff

To build Lijing’s project you need a custom branch of ndn-cxx library here https://github.com/iliamo/Consumer-Producer-API
Hopefully, this branch will be merged in not so distant future.

Ilya