[Ndn-interest] Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for July 2015

Josh Polterock josh at caida.org
Thu Jul 30 17:02:52 PDT 2015

Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for July 2015

The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newletter monthly
to inform the community about recent activities, technical news,
meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming
events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data
Networking Project blog.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH

* Plans continue for the NDN Community Meeting (NDNComm 2015) at
  the University of California at Los Angeles campus in the Little
  Theater, MacGowan Hall, UCLA on 28-29 September 2015.  Registration
  is open on the web at http://www.caida.org/workshops/ndn/1509/ .

* Hackathon: 26-27 September 2015. We are excited to announce the
  first NDN hackathon scheduled prior to the upcoming NDNComm 2015.
  The organizers welcome participants across all experience levels
  and are reaching out to the community for project suggestions.
  If you have an idea for a project, please email Steve DiBenedetto
  (dibenede at cs.colostate.edu).

  Project representatives will pitch their ideas to hackathon
  attendees and act as guides/mentors. We also plan projects
  suitable for NDN newcomers.  Please stay tuned to
  http://www.caida.org/workshops/ndn/1509/#hackathon .
  We hope to see you in LA!

TECHNICAL NEWS

* We announceed the release of version 0.3.3 of Named Data Networking
  Forwarding Daemon (NFD) and ndn-cxx library.

  Please find detailed release notes:
    - NFD: http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.3.3/RELEASE_NOTES.html
    - ndn-cxx library: http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.3.3/RELEASE_NOTES.html

  More details about NFD, source code, install instructions,
  tutorials, HOWTOs, a FAQ and other useful resources are available
  on the official webpages of NFD and ndn-cxx:
    - http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.3.3/
    - http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.3.3/

  The latest version of NFD developer's guide:
    - http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0021-4-nfd-developer-guide/

* New support in NDN-CPP for asynchronous I/O using the Boost ASIO io_service for
  processing events in a thread-safe way.

  The NDN-CPP client library now optionally supports Boost's ASIO
  for more CPU-efficient asynchronous I/O and to make library
  calls thread-safe. For more details, see this announcement:
  http://www.lists.cs.ucla.edu/pipermail/ndn-lib/2015-July/000303.html

* We are pleased to announce the initial release of Mini-NDN (v0.1.0),
  a lightweight networking emulation tool that enables testing,
  experimentation, and research on the NDN platform.  Please find
  detailed release notes at:
  https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/master/docs/RELEASE-NOTES.md
  More information about Mini-NDN, tutorials, installation and
  configuration guides, and documentation are available at the
  Mini-NDN Github repository: https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn

NDN PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and TECHNICAL REPORTS

* We are pleased to report four papers, covering a wide spectrum
  of topics from applications to API to security to scalable
  forwarding, accepted to the 2nd ACM Conference on Information-Centric
  Networking (ICN 2015) to be held Sep 30 - Oct 2 2015 in San
  Francisco, CA..

   I. Moiseenko, L. Wang, L. Zhang, "Consumer / Producer communication
   with application level framing in Named Data Networking".

   T. Song, H. Yuan, P. Crowley, B. Zhang, "Scalable Name-Based
   Packet Forwarding: From Millions to Billions".

   Y. Yu, A. Afanasyev, D. Clark, k. claffy, V. Jacobson, L. Zhang,
   "Schematizing and Automating Trust in Named Data Networking".

   P. Gusev, J. Burke, "NDN-RTC: Real-time videoconferencing over
   Named Data Networking".

* NDN TR-33 Revision 1: P. Gusev and J. Burke, "NDN-RTC: Real-time
  videoconferencing over Named Data Networking" presents the design,
  implementation in C++, and testing of NDN-RTC on the NDN testbed,
  using a demonstration GUI conferencing application, NdnCon. This
  report is the submitted version of the ICN paper listed above.
  http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndntr-0033-ndnrtc/

NDN SEMINARS

* Our NDN Seminar series continued during July.  The NDN
  seminars are internally focused. We usually hold these seminars
  on Wednesday from 2-3p (PST). So, if you would like to be included
  in the NDN Seminars, please contact Jongdeog Lee <jlee700 at illinois.edu>
  for the most up-to-date information regarding upcoming seminars.

  - July 15th Ashlesh Gawande (Univ. of Memphis) presented: Mini-NDN:
    A light weight emulation tool for Named Data Networking

RELATED NEWS

* MIT Professor David Clark and NDN PI k claffy, published "Comments
  on Cybersecurity Research and Development Strategic Plan" in
  response to a Request for Information (RFI)-Federal Cybersecurity
  R&D Strategic Plan, posted by the National Science Foundation on
  4/27/2015.
  https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/04/27/2015-09697/request-for-information-rfi-federal-cybersecurity-randd-strategic-plan
  http://www.caida.org/publications/papers/2015/comments_cybersecurity_research_development/

* PI k claffy blogged about her contribution on a panel on cyberwarfare
  and cyberattacks at the 9th Circuit Judicial Conference held in
  San Diego. Though not directly related to NDN, the blog demonstrates
  the need for it. k used a visualization of a botnet scanning the
  entire IPv4 address space to illustrate technical, economic, and
  legal dimensions of the ecosystem that render the fundamental
  vulnerabilities of today's Internet infrastructure so persistent
  and pernicious.
  http://blog.caida.org/best_available_data/2015/07/20/panel-on-cyberwarfar-and-cyberattacks-at-9th-circuit-judicial-conference/

For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project
please visit http://www.named-data.net/.